Worldwide Relocations

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Documents Required for International Travel

To get your pet onto a plane and through customs on the other side there are many requirements and documents that need to be prepared. In addition to this there are certain restrictions that countries have, which are all unique and can vary depending on which country you’re bringing your pet from.

In general you will always need a valid health certificate signed by an authorized veterinary surgeon, and rabies certificate signed by a local inspector of the veterinary service or another official. Your pet should have been vaccinated against rabies at least 28 days prior to departure. In some countries the vaccination is no longer valid if it is more than 1 year old. You will need to provide photos of the pet, microchip certificates and Serology test results if you are taking your pet to the European Union.

For more information about the specific regulations that will apply you can contact the embassy of the country you are travelling to, or see the below for country-specific information.

There are many different requirements when it comes to shipping your pet internationally. In addition, many countries have certain restrictions and require strict processes to be followed in order to bring your pet with you. These pages are general guideline on the requirements for the most travelled to locations, but please check with us or the relevant authorities if you are planning a move – requirements can (and often do) change quite frequently.

The governing body is IATA, and you can also check out their information about importing pets to different parts of the world.



Hong Kong


New Zealand




Sweden distinguishes between listed countries, and those outside that do not have adequate control systems in place for rabies. The greater risk that a pet is infected with rabies is higher in certain countries, which means that the import restrictions are also stricter, you can read through the requirements in full here, or see the country list.

Thailand is classified as an non-listed country, and as follows are the general guidelines for importing your pet from a non-listed country to Sweden.

Microchips are required in all pets that do not have an identification tattoo before 3 July 2011 and conform to ISO Standards. You must have your pet microchipped before you do and vaccinations. Vaccination against rabies is required, and be done according to the recommendations of the vaccine’s producer. Many cannot be used until your pet is three months old. Dogs, cats and ferrets all require rabies vaccination.

Following vaccination you must have a blood test done to identify the rabies antibodies in their system. You can see a list of the approved clinics to do the blood testing here. Samples must be taken more than 30 days from the final dosage of the vaccination, and once they pass the antibody test another is not required so long as you maintain their re-vaccination schedule.

If you have an EU Pet Passport, as soon as the vaccinations are done, identity marking is complete and they have passed the antibody testing they are ready to travel. If there is a group of more than 6 pets, you will need a special veterinary certificate. Also, if your pet has no EU Pet Passport then you will need a veterinary certificate. This will be issued 90 days from a successful passing of the rabies antibodies test. There are two different certificates, depending if the pet is travelling with you or if they are travelling alone, in a group of more than 5 dogs, or are to be sold.

The main entry points from outside the EU to come directly into Sweden is the Stockholm/Arlanda Airport and Gothenburg/Landvetter Airport, where they will be either inspected at border control if they are to be sold or carried through customs with all appropriate documentation. If foreign dogs are to be residing in Sweden permanently they must be registered with the central dog register.

If you’re planning a move to Sweden let us know how we can help, so we can take care of the process and requirements for you and your pets have a great trip.



The Department of Livestock Development is the regulatory body when bringing dogs and cats into Thailand. You can review the full list of import requirements here, or review the process in detail at the Thai Embassy page.

In short, these are the requirements you must follow.

Bringing a pet into Thailand:

  • An import permit, which can be obtained from the Bangkok Animal Quarantine Station, and is valid for 45 days from the date of issue.
  • A Veterinary Certificate which is filled out and certified by an accredited veterinarian within the export country, within 10 days of the flight. This certificate must state:
    • The pet is found to be healthy and free from any signs of infectious disease (including ectoparasites).
    • The country is free from Rabies for at least 12 months OR the animals have been vaccinated against rabies not less than 21 days before the flight.
    • Dogs are vaccinated against Leptospirosis at least 21 days prior to departure, OR the dog is tested for signs and found to be negative within 30 days of departure.
    • Vaccinations against Distemper, Hepatitis, and Parvovirus are done with official vaccines at least 21 days prior to departure.
  • A microchip that complies with ISO standards, or is accompanied with a microchip reader in order for the pet to be identified.
  • An original copy of the Rabies Vaccination Certificate, which also clearly states the pet’s microchip number, date of the vaccination and the period for which the vaccination is done for. The vaccine must be inactivated.
  • On arrival in Thailand the animals may be subject to quarantine at an approved premise for at least 30 days during which time they will be subjected to any tests/treatments as necessary.


Taking a pet out of Thailand:

  • A certificate of vaccination against rabies, not less than 30 days before the flight, and not over 1 year prior.
  • Obtain a health certificate from the Suvarnabhumi Airport Animal Quarantine Station within 3 days of the flight.
  • A copy of the owners passport (only the photo page is required)
  • An import permit (if required) depending on the country you are shipping them to.


United Kingdom

To bring your animals into the UK, there are many restrictions that need to be met. You can check out the latest requirements.

In short, you need either an EU Pet Passport, or an official veterinary certificate. Your pet must be micro chipped, vaccinated against rabies and treated against tapeworm, in certain instances blood tested.

Specifically for cats coming from Australia you need a certificate showing protection against Hendra disease, and pets coming from Malaysia require a certificate showing protection against Nipah disease. it’s your responsibility to get all of the documentation prepared for pets you bring to the UK, and if it’s not completed correctly or your pet doesn’t meet the entry rules it won’t be allowed to enter the UK.

Microchips are required to be fitted, and the number has to be recorded on all of their documentation. Microchips will need to be read upon entry to the UK, which means the chip needs to be compatible with the ISO Standards. The exception is for pets that have been tattooed on or before 3 July 2011. If the tattoo is clearly legible, and was done before the pet was vaccinated against rabies then your pet doesn’t need to be micro chipped. After micro chipping your pet must be vaccinated against rabies.

There is a mandatory waiting period of 21 days from the date of your pets first rabies vaccination before a pet can enter the UK if travelling from the EU or a listed non-EU country. You can see the list of countries here. If your pet is travelling from an unlisted country different rules apply. A blood test must be done to ensure the vaccine has worked, and there is a three month waiting period.

The blood sample must be taken from the pet at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination, and sent to an EU approved blood testing laboratory. If satisfactory, the pet will be able to enter the UL three months after the date the blood sample was taken. There’s a limit of 5 pets that can be moved by an individual, but if certain requirements are met you can move more, here is where you can contact for more information.

You don’t need to accompany your pet on the flight, but there is documentation to complete. Without the declaration of an owner not accompanying pet, there may be additional fees at border control. If you’re travelling with your pet then this document is not required. Treatment is needed against tapeworms, not less than 24 hours before the flight and not more than 5 days (120 hours) prior to the scheduled arrival in the UK. This needs to be done by a qualified vet with the details registered in the EU Pet Passport.

Quarantine is not required from certain countries in the world so long as the rules of the scheme are met, and all documentation is in order. You can check out the different countries here. There are restrictions on the routes and the transport companies that can bring pets into the UK, you can see the list of approved sea and rail routes and the air routes.

You can get an EU Pet Passport from an Official Veterinarian, which is simple to get after a couple of tests at either your local vet (or they can refer you to a clinic with an Official Veterinarian).

Before your pet can board a flight they need a veterinary statement saying that your pet is fit and safe for travel. In addition you will need to prepare customs documentation We can assist to provide all of the required formalities, as well as making sure the border checks go smooth and according to plan. Let us help make the relocation process for your pet simple, so your best friend is home safe in no time.



The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has many regulations on importing dogs and cats into the United States. Your dog needs to be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entry, except for puppies that are younger than 3 months and dogs that have originated or have been located (for 6 months) in an area that is considered to be free of rabies. You also need to have a health certificate for your dog. You can find more information on the specifics of the requirements. There is no vaccination regulation for cats

There are additional restrictions on specific breeds of dogs that are to be used handling livestock. Collies, shepherds, and other dogs imported from any part of the world except Canada, Mexico, and regions of Central America and the West Indies must be inspected and quarantined at the port of entry to determine their freedom from tapeworm. In addition, there are certain requirements for dogs that are returning from a country affected with screwworm. You can bring dogs from regions known to have screwworm if you have a veterinary certificate that states the dog has been inspected for screwworm, within 5 days of shipment to the United States. The certificate must state the dog is free from screwworm or was found to be infested and held in quarantine and treated until free from screwworm prior to leaving. Every pet will be subject to inspection at their port of entry for any infectious diseases, and if you are importing your pet to Hawaii there is a quarantine period of 130 days.

Do not use any natural bedding such as straw, hay or grass in their travel kennel because these products are not allowed to be imported to the Unites States. If you’re bringing your dog from a country that’s affected with Foot-and-Mouth Disease (FMD) you need to take the following precautions.

  • Your pets feet, fur, and bedding should be clean and free of any excessive dirt or mud.
  • Your pet’s bedding should be free of any straw or hay, or other natural bedding.
  • Your pet should be bathed as soon as it reaches its final destination.
  • Your pet should be kept separate and apart from all livestock for at least 5 days after entry into the United States.